2.25.2010

I don't think you are ready for this jelly...

Something very life affirming happened to me the other day. I discovered that I have a teen sidekick. Someone that wants to help keep me up to date on all current teen pop culture phenomenons.

This may not seem like a big deal to many of your readers, but understanding that I have a real interest in teen films and media and just generally being up on what's down (yes, that lameness is intentional), this pretty much validated my entire existence.

Thanks to Sheeza Punk, I am now in the know about the newest fad, craze and school currency....Silly Bandz. No, this doesn't refer to *Nsync or Backstreet boys...but rather to the evolution of plastic and jelly jewelry.

In the early 80s we had our plastic charms. You know you had them....records, skates, toothpaste bottles, tennis rackets, ghosts, lipsticks and anything the mind could imagine. 


Then, it was all about jelly bracelets and how many you could stuff on your arm.

Slap bracelets kind of brought it to a standstill...after kids were cutting themselves due to some faulty designs.


These were the trends of my day, but now Silly Bandz rule the scene. Really, they are jelly bracelets...but they come in so many shapes other than circle.





There are letters, animals and my favorite, princess shapes!


                                                    
Oh yeah, these bad girls also glow in the dark. Consider yourself schooled.

Pleasure Rating:
Why-can't-I-throw-anything-away-today-but-managed-to-throw-away-all-of-my-cool-childhood-toys-and-now-have-to-buy-that-childhood-back-through-ebay-at-inflation?-Courtasm!

2 comments:

Chloe Aquil said...

OMG... Not the jelly and the slap bracelets... brings back soooo many memories.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with the big 30?